Sunday, October 17, 2010

DSDN 171 blog assignment 10

This course has been influential towards my position and approach as a designer. The weekly readings and lectures have helped to synthesise various themes and issues relevant to the practice of design and what historical influences different design shows.

I have certainly found this class helpful as it taught me so much more about the different design eras, what inspired them and what they were really about. Before the course I had only a braid knowledge of the fundamentals of the main design movements, nowhere near as in depth as we learned in this course. I not tell you who belonged to groups such as Deutsche Werkbund and the Memphis design group as well as the founding members of the Bauhaus. I was also surprised how much deeper design actually goes, changes in design were also dictated by political and social issues such as the industrial revolution effecting the arts and crafts movement to the cold war’s effect on modern design.

History has usually been a subject which I would steer clear of but I believe history has been the most helpful subject in the first year programme. It has provided skills and knowledge that can be applied to design in any form. I now know so much more about the evolution of design and will most likely use design/works studied in this course as precedents in assignments later in my degree. I value highly what I have learnt from this course and think the structure of the readings and lectures was very helpful to the learning process.

No comments:

Post a Comment